Michael Groom, professional speaker and mountain climber, is unquestionably one of the world’s greatest ‘big’ mountain climbers.
In 1995 he became the fourth person in the world to climb the four highest mountains without the assistance of bottled oxygen.
In 1999 he successfully climbed akalu, the smallest and for Michael, the last of the ‘big five’ – the five highest mountains in the world. Makalu, Lhotse, Kangchenjunga, K2 and Everest – Michael climbed them all without the assistance of bottled oxygen, and all but Kangchenjunga he climbed without the front third of both feet.
Michael has now lowered his sights in mountaineering and has become a sought after keynote speaker. He has spoken to soldiers going off to war, athletes struggling to come back from serious injury, professional people keen to get a little closer to the truth of ‘no pain, no gain’, and ordinary folk who just love to sit and listen to one of Australia’s most amazing human endeavour stories.
“The day was an enormous success. As per Michael’s request, we kept the nature of his visit quiet from the participants. You could almost see lightbulbs turning on over people’s heads as they realised who he was! The pictures and visual aides were top notch, his spoken presentation impeccable and his professionalism was fantastic. Our visitors really enjoyed the extra time that he took to meet and and greet, at the end of his session.”Matthew Jacobsen, Principal, Fingal Head Public School 2011
“As our team attempts to climb our own Everest (An AFL Premiership) I thought it was great timing to get someone who has not only been there but did it in the hardest of fashions, without oxygen and ten toes. For our group it was a story much like our own. A lot of planning followed by executing that plan and then having to deal with the insurmountable odds and obstacles that pop up at nearly every turn. Not one player had to deal with some of the odds that Michael had to. Funny not one player complained for another month at our training or game soreness after listening to Michael’s journey. While Michael has been a friend for some years now it is his journey that still makes me realise just about anything is doable and within our reach.”
Jason AkermanisProfessional FootballerWestern Bulldogs
‘’I first heard Michael speak when he mesmerised the 2000 Australian 2000 Olympic Swim Team. That was one of the most memorable and inspirational nights of my life.I have now watched Michael keep a large group of young 2010 Olympic Swim Team hopefuls spellbound for his entire presentation, leaving them inspired and believing they also can turn a dream into a reality, by overcoming hardship and difficulty. Michael’s talk was a perfect way to begin the next four years of hard work and dedication as they head towards London 2012. I would not hesitate in recommending Michael to any prospective audience.” Scott VolkersHead Coach Swimming QLD Academy of Sport
‘’Michael Groom spoke at the BDS Logan City Sports Awards on Wednesday 22 nd October 2008. Michael’s speech was truly inspirational and shows how sheer will and determination to pursue one’s dream can be achieved. You could have heard a pin drop in the 400+ audience and the standing ovation was well deserved for his remarkable achievements in conquering the highest mountains in the world and surviving numerous ordeals. Thanks again for your inspirational speech.” Karen TattersallBusiness Development Officer Logan City Council
“Michael’s achievements are nothing short of inspirational. His delivery captured every member of the 2008 Australian Swimming Team from the first sentence until the last word. I think everyone in the room will remember Michael for a very long time.” Alan ThompsonNational Head CoachSwimming Australia
“Many thanks for attending the Merck and Schering Plough Business Meeting across the two days on February 5th and 6th, 2008. The stories you shared with the group were certainly received very positively. Our objectives were met as our sales force were inspired and motivated after listening to the stirring accounts of your efforts in reaching your goals. It was also fantastic to have you mix with all of us during the breaks as the positive impact you had on the group was reinforced even more when individuals had the opportunity to join you in conversation and exchange personal stories. I’ve listed a few comments below from the feedback collected from the audience: “fabulous, amazing, uplifting, inspiring, brilliant” “very moving presentation and relevant to what we are trying to achieve” “excellent, very passionate” We also asked the audience to rate the sessions during our meeting between 1 and 10. Your session rated the highest out of all the sessions with 80% giving you a score of 10, and the remaining 20% a score of 9! Amazing!!! So thank you again for spending some time with us and I hope that we cross paths again in the future.” Ira WebsterBrand ManagerMerck Sharp & Dohme Australia